The archivists were already deep into the process of digitizing and
transcribing Hooker’s letters for posterity. But a few lines into this
particular letter, the words suddenly disappeared, censored by row after
row of black squiggles. The same went for a number of Hooker’s missives to
La Touche. “We were quite mystified by it,” says Virginia Mills, an
archivist at Kew. “They stood out to us, because we hadn’t come across
anything else like it in his papers. So we just started kind of speculating
about what it might be.”

http://bit.ly/2ByqnWp
http://bit.ly/2ByqnWp+

--