By the way the paper below does not mention the important review of camels found in Italy published by Jacopo De Grossi, which can be found on his academia.edu page https://www.academia.edu/1050546/Cammelli_nellantichit%C3%A0_le_presenze_in_Italia, or the equally importnat review of camels in Iberia published in Antiquity by Morales, Riquelme and Liesau, see https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285363721_Dromedaries_in_antiquity_Iberia_and_beyond.

Cheers,
Umberto

On 20 November 2017 at 09:29, Lee Broderick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I agree with Sonja - we've excavated a large number of Roman road-side settlements and ditches in Britain and we still only have the one camel identified from this period (the one mentioned in the article) which, I'd argue, is far from 'spotty yet telling osteological remains from ... Britain'. No doubt differential disposal may play a part but the evidence at this point would suggest that camels were far from ever being common in Roman Britain.

Best regards,

Lee G. Broderick, MSc, MA, FZS.
Zooarchaeologist
Oxford Archaeology Ltd.
+44 (0)1865 980775
www.oxfordarchaeology.com

This email and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify [log in to unmask]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ZOOARCH automatic digest system" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, 20 November, 2017 12:01:15 AM
Subject: ZOOARCH Digest - 17 Nov 2017 to 19 Nov 2017 (#2017-261)

Topics of the day:

  1. Fw:  NEWS: Camels in Roman Britain?
  2. Fw: NEWS: Camels in Roman Britain?

Date:    Sun, 19 Nov 2017 20:50:10 +0000
From:    Laszlo Bartosiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fw:  NEWS: Camels in Roman Britain?

Dear Carl,

Many thanks, this is a very useful suggestion. The problem with camel remains may be taphonomic: unless they were eaten, their bones may not have been deposited in ordinary settlement refuse but at less investigated places (e.g.roadside and battlefields). In Hungary, thousands of camels are mentioned in reliable Ottoman Period records, but finds are still sporadic. Why should it be different for the time of Roman occupation?