Dear UK Medical Collections Group Members

I am a new member and consultant commissioned by the Lancaster Medical Museum Group to develop an options appraisal to try to ensure the sustainability of their collections. (I am funded through an HLF Resilience grant).

Some of you may be familiar with the group who are predominantly working or retired medics who have a fascinating collection of objects, archives and ephemera focused on medicine and public health in Lancaster and district. At the moment the collection is appropriately catalogued and stored within the hospital estate and is occasionally used for talks and exhibitions. The vision is to give much more access through a permanent or temporary exhibition/s and through a range of creative activities and events for both academic and informal learning audiences.

I have so far compiled a list of consultation contacts for the informal learning for example with family and community groups etc. as well as with local schools. In addition I have some contacts in the Universities (Lancaster, Cumbria and University of Lancashire) i.e. Heads of Department/subject heads,  however I’m wondering whether there might be other University staff who would be better contacts e.g. those who have a particular interest in medical collections or who perhaps have medical collections within their Universities?

I have visited the excellent Worcester Museums and have consulted Mark Macleod at the Infirmary and Louise Price at the George Marshall and they have given me a number of great contacts and insights into their experience of developing the project in Worcester. I would also be very interested in talking to/visiting other holders of collections on this JISCmail group who are or have been on a similar journey to the Group in Lancaster and may be able to offer some further advice or insights to help with this options appraisal.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from or perhaps meeting with you.

Chris Chadwick

Chris Chadwick Consultancy Ltd.

M 07939 123529

T 0161 929 9079