PhD Position in Consumer Neuroscience

Reference: ERIM PhD RSM 2018 MKT CN

Abstract
We seek outstanding applicants whose research interests lie at the intersection of psychology, economics, marketing and neuroscience and who are interested in studying the brain mechanisms that underlie judgement and decision-making. Particular interests of our group are the neural underpinnings of persuasive messaging, social influences on (consumer) choices, dishonesty, emotion regulation and self-control, and the role of neurotransmitters and hormones in such decisions.
For the current project, we are especially looking for applicants who have experience with innovative fMRI methods, most notably multi-voxel pattern analysis (MVPA), and who would be interested in applying these techniques to predict real-world consumer choices.
Candidates with a less technical focus and a more general interest in how neuroscience can inform consumer decision-making are also invited to apply

Topic
We seek to understand and predict consumer choice from neural activity in response to money, products, brands and persuasive messages such as advertising. In particular, we focus on linking neural measures obtained from individuals to real market choice data. We will systematically compare the predictive validity of these brain markers to benchmarks from conventional marketing research and psychophysiological methods. In general, candidates have a large say in the precise focus of their project.

Approach
The preferred methodology is fMRI, in particular applying innovative techniques such as multi-voxel pattern analysis (MVPA) and representational similarity analysis (RSA), as well as neural reliability (inter-subject correlations in neural activity). Experience with and interest in applying these advanced techniques is a definite plus. In addition to fMRI, we use EEG, facial coding, eye-tracking and behavioural measures in our research. Experience with at least one of these methods is required.

How to Apply
For more information about this position and how to apply, please visit the ERIM website (https://tinyurl.com/ycfqjbe6).