Dear SPM Users/Experts,
After I have run any of the realignment modules (say realign and unwarp) on fMRI 4D dataset, if I try and open the original functional volume in MATLAB using spm_read_vols(spm_vol(filename)), I get an error stating that the images do not all have same orientation and/or voxel sizes. The error message displays the matrix for all the volumes and then mentions that the orientations must be identical for this procedure.
Is this expected? Do I understand this correctly that when we run realignment, the headers are moved by some amount (which is a function of the movement between the reference scan and the volume)? If so, does this mean that my original functional data becomes sort of useless? The unwarped version created after this step does not create this problem.

Thank you very much for your time!

With kind regardsPatrick