Thanks David,

On a less positive note I was at the Central Maths Hub meeting last night (at Birmingham University) along with some A Level Mathematics teachers and they told me that they and also most of the teachers they had spoken to have experienced much fewer students having started A Level Mathematics in September. One of the teachers at the meeting has actually seen their numbers halve! The reason they put forward was the change to the new GCSE Mathematics. I know its early days and we won’t know the true position until the numbers of A Level entries are formally reported but that won’t be for some time, but this does not bode well.

Best wishes

Alun

From: The sigma network for cross-university mathematics and statistics support [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Bowers
Sent: 23 November 2017 10:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Maths in the Budget!

Dear sigma Network,

More maths for everyone! Don't let anyone say I don't know how to show the nation a good time!

Yesterday's Budget announcement by Chancellor Philip Hammond included the above quip to accompany the promise of additional funding to improve maths skills. The main focus was on a further roll-out of "maths mastery" in primary schools, together with additional funding for pupils taking A level or (hooray!) Core Maths at 16+.

On behalf of the sigma network, I have written to the Chancellor to urge that attention is also given to maintaining and enhancing the quantitative skills of all students across higher education too, and outlined the acknowledged achievements of sigma over the past 12 years. I assured the Treasury (if they even read that far....) that the sigma Network would be keen to collaborate on developing a national programme for cross-university mathematics and statistics skills support.

Meanwhile. let's celebrate the fact that maths got a mention in the Budget! There are of course critical voices (see for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42081388 ). But let's use the strapline of "giving people a good time" with maths to promote our own maths support centres. Here are some more quotable quotes:

"Knowledge of maths is key to the hi-tech, cutting-edge jobs in our digital economy," said Mr Hammond.

The Chancellor said he wanted "highly talented young mathematicians" to be able to "release their potential wherever they live and whatever their background".

Onwards!

David

David Bowers
Chair, sigma Network for Excellence in Mathematics and Statistics Support (www.sigma-network.ac.uk)
1487276236151_sigma

Gold rating for teaching excellence
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)

Ranked No.12 UK university

The Guardian University Guide 2018

UK’s highest ranking new university

The Guardian and the Complete University Guides 2018

Top 6 for Student Experience

The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018

NOTICE

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.