Hi there,

No doubt Elon Musk is a showman, but maybe the new Class 8 concept vehicle is more than smoke and mirrors, so let us see what happens. Tesla is already producing battery powered cars, and Mercedes Benz has introduce a battery powered truck with a 26ton GVM (gross vehicle mass) rating in Europe.

Remember that these new energy sources are being driven (forgive the pun) by legislators to “reduce emissions”, and these bodies do not always concern themselves with the cost, or current practicalities of alternative energy sources, or the increased cost to the operators.

I agree with David Cebon’s summary below, and feel that diesel, or alternative liquid fuel, will be with us for some years to come.

I am ex the UK, but now resident in South Africa, and in our current economy such levels of technology to reduce emissions are well out the grasp of many of our operators, with a large proportion of our commercial vehicle fleet in excess of 10 years of age.

Our legislated exhaust emissions level is still at Euro II, but we are gradually being forced into higher Euro levels as newer technology trucks are introduced to the country, though the requisite fuel is not always available for these higher spec. engines.

It is going to be sometime before we see full electric, or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in general use here in SA.

Rgds,

Jim Campbell

MIRTE