Annual Conference:  29 to 31 August 2018, Glasgow, UK - Call for Papers: ‘People make Records’

The Archives and Records Association, UK and Ireland will hold its 2018 Conference in Glasgow between 29 and 31 August 2018. Appropriately, our theme is ‘People Make Records’. Well we couldn’t possibly go to Glasgow and ignore its famous ‘People make Glasgow’ strapline: people-driven industry, innovation, culture and heritage; a meeting place of people from all cultures yet distinctively Scottish.

Our venue for 2018 – the Grand Central Hotel - encapsulates all of these virtues. A refurbished nineteenth-century railway hotel in the heart of the city, it positively oozes history. In 1927 it was the Glasgow destination for John Logie Baird’s first-ever broadcast of television pictures in the UK – sent over 400 miles on telephone lines from London. The list of famous guests includes Laurel & Hardy, Frank Sinatra, John F Kennedy, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

We invite proposals for the Conference. As usual there will be streams encompassing archives and records, conservation, and digital preservation. Contributions are welcomed from across the UK and Ireland, and from colleagues in the global recordkeeping community.

PEOPLE MAKE RECORDS

Within the overall ‘People Make Records’ theme, we have developed a specific topic for each day, with each of these allowing the opportunity to discuss plenty of questions.

People in the records

Do records reflect their communities? Do records represent the people who create them? Do people trust the authenticity of their records? Who decides on the selection and appraisal or the preservation and conservation of records in their community? Where should records be located?

People looking after records

Who are the record-keepers and conservators? Do we have the skills we need? Is the current training model fit for purpose? Is the profession diverse enough? What code of ethics should record keepers adopt? What is the role of volunteers?

People using records

How do we increase awareness of records and encourage engagement from more users? Are we approachable enough to users and people in the records? What models might we adopt to increase diversity of users? Does archival and conservation practice limit rather than promote access? What do current users require from archives and records in the twenty-first century?

PROPOSALS

You can participate in the following ways:

In forming your proposal:

HOW DO I SUBMIT A PROPOSAL?

You can make your conference submissions online using this link: https://app.oxfordabstracts.com/stages/315/submission

Please email [log in to unmask] if you require any assistance.

Informal discussion of your proposal with members of the Conference Committee is encouraged. Please contact [log in to unmask]

KEY DATES

The deadline for submission is Wednesday 13 December 2017

Notification invitations to speak will be confirmed by Friday 9 February 2018

Final presentations must be emailed to conference organisers by Monday 20 August 2018

All speakers will be reimbursed travel expenses (up to £100) and will receive free conference registration for

the day on which they are speaking.

Mike Anson
Conference Chair

---

Conference Committee

Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland)

www.archives.org.uk

www.learnaboutarchives.ie

www.communityarchives.org.uk

ARA Annual Conference 2018

Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow

29 August-31 August

http://conference.archives.org.uk/

Prioryfield House

20 Canon Street

Taunton

Somerset

TA1 1SW

The Information contained in this email is confidential. It is for the

exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and not for circulating

without agreement. If you are not the intended recipient(s) you are

hereby notified that any circulation or copying of this email is

strictly prohibited. Any opinions expressed may be those of the

individual and not necessarily the Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland).

Charity Registered in England and Wales Number 1041063

Charity Registered in Scotland Number SC041671

Registered Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales Number 2969472

Registered Office: Ground Floor, Blackbrook Gate 1, Blackbrook

Business Park, Taunton, Somerset TA1 2PX

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]