From: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sanyal, Neil
Sent: 02 November 2017 10:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hospital interpreter services

Sorry I am late to this discussion but I wanted to relate an interpreting experience I had about 13 years ago which somewhat balances out the debate, although I am not advocating telephone interpreting as the norm of course.

A CMHT Consultant Psychiatrist and I were dealing with an asylum seeker from the Middle East (I’m not being any more specific than that for confidentiality purposes) who lived in a local hostel and to facilitate our ongoing assessment and support for this young man we used a face to face interpreter from the same community as the patient for several sessions. Several minutes of Arabic sentences spoken by the patient were interpreted back with about 30 seconds of speech by the interpreter. The Consultant and I were continually frustrated by this as we believed the patient was suffering from troubling psychotic delusions that might be a risk to himself or others or his health but could not ascertain enough information with which to formulate a proper plan of support and appropriate treatment. Then the patient was admitted to an acute inpatient unit under section 2 MHA 1983 (not assessed by either of us on the day of detention) and during his admission the nursing and medical staff did not use an interpreter. The patient appealed to a Mental Health Review Tribunal (MHRT) and was discharged because the Treating Inpatient Consultant Psychiatrist, on the basis of no interpreted discussions at all, believed the patient was not psychotic. I attended the MHRT and witnessed this situation for myself and was very frustrated by what I saw unfolding. Fortunately, the patient after discharge continued to see the community Consultant and I and we saw him soon afterwards. This time the Consultant rang Language Line and for an hour used the telephone interpreting service. It became very apparent that the patient was troubled by a massive paranoid psychotic delusional system in which he believed the Prime Minister of the day was spying on him in the toilet for example. The Community Consultant and I were interested to note that we got a far more comprehensive picture of the patient’s mental state when the person interpreting was not in the room with us than we had had with a face to face interpreter. The treatment plan that resulted – change of medication amongst other aspects – definitely reduced the risks for him, improved his quality of life and prevented another admission to hospital.

I will not comment on my opinion of why the community situation unfolded as it did - just to say that telephone interpreting can be effective in some cases but I still believe it should not be the norm. As for the inpatient staff and their lack of use of an interpreter – I hope this kind of malpractice is now consigned to history.

Neil

Neil Sanyal
Social Worker/AMHP
Adult Mental Health New Forest Substance Misuese Social Care Team
Lymington Area Office

Lymington

Hampshire
SO41 9YB