Hi,

I realise this is coming rather late to the table, but attached is a very
comprehensive summary of the pros and cons of telephone interpreting
written by Nathalie Talbot.  Nathalie is a practicing interpreter working
for Freedom from Torture, among other organisations, and a trainer of
interpreters.  She is also the co-author with Jude Boyles of *Working with
Interpreters in Psychological Therapy, the Right to Be Understood*, 2017
London, Routledge.

I think it is excellent - very clear and comprehensive, and makes the point
that telephone interpreting is not always the cheaper option by listing all
the many considerations which have to be taken into account, an argument
rather than a bald statement.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any study of
cost-effectiveness; it would be very useful to hae one.

Cath

On 1 November 2017 at 11:14, Naseer Ahmad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> May I ask for some views and evidence please.
>
> Our trust is moving from an in person translator/interpreter service to a
> telephone based one.
>
> My view is that this is retrograde for all the usual reasons and
> especially bad for central manchester.  However, what are the sources that
> I can quote to argue that this is bad for patients?
>
> Thank you all in advance.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Naseer
>

> Naseer Ahmad BSc MBChB FRCS MD
>
> Consultant Vascular Surgeon
>
> Honorary Senior Lecturer
>
> Manchester Vascular Centre
>
> Manchester University Foundation Trust
>
> Manchester Royal Infirmary
>
> Oxford Road
>
> Manchester
>
> M13 9WL
>
> 0161 276 8524 <0161%20276%208524> (sec)
>
> 0161 276 4737 <0161%20276%204737> (direct)

Cath Maffia
Director TS4SE Cooperative

*Free online learning*

*Improving Access to Healthcare for Migrants:* a toolkit for healthcare
staff
*http://ts4se.org.uk/migrants-healthcare.html
<http://ts4se.org.uk/migrants-healthcare.html> *

*Our free online training toolkit provides information and practical tips
for effective engagement with patients from migrant, refugee and minority
communities. Designed for frontline staff, the toolkit can be easily used
by individuals on their own or by teams within a group setting.*

*Schools Stand Up 2 Racism:* training for secondary school staff
*http://www.standup2racism.org.uk/e-learning/*
<http://www.standup2racism.org.uk/e-learning/>

*Schools Stand Up 2 Racism: a three year research project which took place
in secondary schools across Cheshire, Halton and Warrington. It was led by
Cheshire, Halton and Warrington Race and Equality Centre (CHAWREC) in
partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU). The e-learning
package was developed by TS4SE.*

TS4SE is the trading name of Training and Support 4 Services and Exiles
(TS4SE) Cooperative Limited. TS4SE is not for profit organisation and is a
Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered Company Number: 6578514
www.ts4se.org.uk