Hi Soo,

It’s so great that the NMPA report is being shared and discussed. We have received so many positive comments from different corners.

One thing I noted below however is that you have suggested that the NMPA data shows the overall CS rate is down at around 20.7%. However, the stats you are referring to are based on singleton, term, cephalic births so do not reflect the overall rate.

I wouldn’t want people to be misled into thinking that CS rates are falling when in fact they appear to be rising further. The overall CS rate among all births in England is actually 27.8% (as published by NHS Digital last week): https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB30137

Best wishes,

Tina

Dr Tina Harris

Associate Professor for Research Students (Faculty Head of Research Students)

Senior Clinical Lead (Midwifery) National Maternity and Perinatal Audit

Faculty of Health and Life Sciences

De Montfort University

Edith Murphy House EM3.25

The Gateway

Leicester

LE1 9BH

T: 0116 2577804

Please be aware that I am now working three days per week. These will normally fall Tuesday to Thursday each week, but may change according to workload. Please bear this in mind when waiting for a reply to an email as there may be a short delay. If you need to contact someone urgently, please contact either the graduate school office, Jane Rutty or Katie Laird.

TEF email signature footer