Dear colleagues,

In the context of the next conference of the European Society for the History of Science, London, September, 14-17, 2018, Karine Chemla, Olival Freire and Yves Gingras will organize a symposium entitled

"How do the origins and types of funding in the history of science affect the results of research?"

We invite colleagues who are interested in contributing to this symposium to send us a title and an abstract by November 30, and we will let potential participants know whether their application is accepted or not by December 5, 2017.

Presentation: At a time when public funding is decreasing steadily, private institutions are becoming significant funders of research. This is a general phenomenon, but in particular it affects the history of science, technology, and medicine. Is this phenomenon without any consequence for the results of research in our field? Or, can we perceive a correlation between, on the one hand, the origin and the type of funding and, on the other, the orientation given to research, and its results? How do these correlations operate for research carried out with public funding? These are questions that we think it is essential to raise in the present climate, and our symposium will address them with regard to current research and also from a historical perspective.

best
Karine Chemla, Olival Freire, and Yves Gingras