UPDATE: Wednesday 8 November 2017

In the public interest: How are broadcasters adapting to deliver quality content in a changing world?

Wednesday 29 November 2017

10.30 to 15.30 at the Geological Society, Piccadilly, W1J 0BG

Dear members and colleagues

We do hope that you will be able to join us for VLV’s Autumn Conference.  Here is an update on the programme and speakers for the conference – now only three weeks away.

To book a ticket click here.

The conference comes at a time when audiences are watching and listening to content on an increasing range of platforms. Will this undermine the existing public service broadcasting model or does it simply provide more choice for everyone? VLV Chairman Colin Browne said “Research shows the way we are watching and listening to content is rapidly changing, but traditional TV and radio are still hugely popular.  The VLV Autumn Conference’s line-up of speakers will give members the chance to hear about current rapid changes in broadcasting and the ever-developing media world from senior industry figures and the opportunity to question them directly.”

Conference programme update

We are delighted that Sir Peter Bazalgette, Chairman of ITV, will be our keynote speaker in the morning. Peter joined ITV in May 2017 and will be able to reflect on his first six months at the broadcaster. Prior to joining ITV, he was Chairman of the Arts Council of England for four years and led an independent review (published in September 2017) on behalf of the Government on how the UK’s Creative Industries can contribute to the future of the country. Torin Douglas will chair the session.

BBC Strategy under the new Charter:  We will also hear from James Purnell, BBC Director of Radio & Education, on BBC strategy under the new Charter and following the publication of its first Annual Plan under its unitary board.  Jane Martinson chairs.

How are changes in independent production impacting on UK audiences?: We will explore how UK independent production is changing as a result of the creation of BBC Studios and in response to the impact of global players like Netflix. Will this lead to less UK relevant public service content for audiences?  Mark Linsey, Director of BBC Studios, will join David Lloyd, former Head of News and Current Affairs at Channel 4 and Visiting Professor at City University and Kim Shillinglaw, Head of Factual Programmes at Endemol Shine UK.   Roger Bolton chairs.

New horizons for Children’s Content: Baroness Benjamin heads our panel with Anne Brogan, Joint Managing Director, Kindle Entertainment and Simon Terrington, Content Policy Director at Ofcom.  They will debate the future of children’s commissioning and production following the passing of new powers for Ofcom in the Digital Economy Act to re-introduce quotas for children’s content on the commercial public service broadcasters. Professor Jeanette Steemers, VLV Trustee and Professor of Culture, Media & Creative Industries at Kings College, London chairs.

 The conference takes place on Wednesday 29 November 2017 from 10.30 to 15.30 at the Geological Society, Piccadilly, W1J 0BG.  To book a ticket click here.

Members only:  The AGM of VLV will take place at 4.00pm.

The VLV reserves the right to amend the programme

If you no longer want to receive news from VLV please reply to this email and put ‘unsubscribe’ in the subject box.

General inquiries

Sue Washbrook (Tuesday to Thursday during office hours)

VLV, The Old Rectory Business Centre, Springhead Road, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 8HN

VLV Office:          01474 338716

email:                    [log in to unmask]
web:                       www.vlv.org.uk

Voice of the Listener & Viewer is a charitable company limited by guarantee (registered in England No. 4407712) Charity No. 1152136.

Registered Office: The Old Rectory Business Centre, Springhead Road, Northfleet, Kent DA11 8HN.

Disclaimer: This communication from VLV (and any attachments) is confidential.  It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) any distribution, copying or use of the information in this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.  This communication my contain personal views which are not the views of VLV, unless specifically stated.

Voice of the Listener & Viewer  has no relationship with Mediawatch (formerly the National Listeners and Viewers Association founded by the late Mrs Mary Whitehouse).