Hi Samantha,

That is a great question to ask and thank you Kirsty for sharing your
experience.

We have seen universities approach legacy data in numerous ways, and I
think every university I've worked with has completed this in a different
way. I know you have asked about digitisations but I would like to cover
both reading list data and digitisations as often the two go hand in hand.

*Reading lists*
We have seen the following approaches:

   - bulk importing from a previous system into Talis Aspire as part of
   Consultancy during your implementation
   - Talis Aspire is seen as a new start with up to date lists so each has
   been created afresh rather than time spent adding in a possibly old list
   with old content
   - individual academics importing their lists using a ris. file
   - library creating lists on the academics behalf and then being handed
   over to academics to maintain
   - library training academics to add their own lists and maintain them

*Digitisations*
We have seen the following approaches:

   - bulk importing from a previous system into Talis Aspire as part of
   Consultancy during your implementation (
   https://support.talis.com/hc/en-us/articles/207907145-TADC-bulk-import-validator
   )
   - depending on the number of previous and current digitisations the
   library decide to upload the scans individually through the reading list as
   a way of training staff and testing the system
   - some have used it as an opportunity to encourage academics to create
   their reading lists and to demonstrate how easy it is to raise a request
   from the reading list and for the details to go to the library to action

Everyone does approach it differently and will have guidance to provide you
with and I hope we will see more discussion take place here.

Samantha - I know at the moment James Cook University are in implementation
and we are having these ongoing conversations with you there, so I will
also pick up with your project group.

If anyone has any questions on the above then please do raise a support
ticket <https://support.talis.com/hc/en-us> and we can help you explore
this further.

Laura

On 27 November 2017 at 09:43, Kirsty Beveridge (Staff) <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello Samantha,
>

> it's a long time ago, & there may be better options  available but we
> essentially did it one by one, (borrowing staff from other areas)  over
> the summer - that is,  staff created reading lists for Sem 1,  where we
> knew we had dig content,  & thought would be running, & we placed the
> request & uploaded the files . It helped  us get to know how the system
> worked, without creating multiple request  called 'test' .   (I wish there
> was a way in DC that you could flag a request as 'test').
>
> We  then stopped , & began to only process requests where we knew courses
> were running.  (Emails etc).
>

> These days we have slightly better information as to what courses are
> running, so  we could be  a bit more selective if doing it again. If you
> have a   'no renewal without confirmation from the lecturer' policy, your
> uploads will be tidier.  Also, if  you release the 'Request Digitisation'
> attribute early, which we didn't,   you may find that that helps where
> reading lists have changed more than you think  ?
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> Kirsty
>

> Kirsty Beveridge
>
> Assistant Librarian
>
> Library Digitisation Service
>
> Research & Resources
>
> University of Dundee Library & Learning Centre

> Tel: 01382 385384
>

> ------------------------------

Kind regards

Laura Unwin

Talis

http://support.talis.com

Twitter: @talis

M: =44 (0) 7821 857 923

E: [log in to unmask]

Are you interested in joining the Services Team at Talis, we are
recruiting, more details here <https://www.workable.com/j/053D8CEB17>.

Join us in February for Talis Insight Asia-Pacific 2018 in Melbourne. Find
out more: http://talis.co/TIAP2018z

Talis Insight Europe 2018 - 1st-2nd May - Birmingham. Register here:
http://talis.co/TIE2018z