From: A general library and information science list for news and discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alex Maddison
Sent: 29 November 2017 18:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: "Find a study space" student project

Dear Sir/Madam

I am a fourth year engineering student at the University of Bristol who is currently taking a unit on innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship. The assessment for this unit is to construct a business plan for a product or service.

The service my group are designing is a "Find a study space" system for libraries and work areas. I am currently gaining the opinions of librarians around the country about this.

If it is okay with you, I will give a brief description of the service we are designing, and how it could benefit students and the library team, before I ask you a few questions about your own library.

Service description

This service is targeted at students and will identify the number of free study spaces in a library or work area and the exact locations of these spaces. This information could be provided to the students and the university via an app or displays. It could also be provided directly to the library team for you to do what you see fit with it. The system would be as non-intrusive as possible and would have minimal disruption to users of the library.

The aim of this service is to save students and staff time and stress when locating study spaces. It will also increase how efficiently libraries and study areas are utilised, potentially increasing the number of students who benefit from the work spaces which you provide.

Questions

If possible would you be able to answer the following questions about your library and what your opinions are on this service:

·  Do you currently have any similar systems operating in your libraries and how do they work?

·  To the best of your knowledge is a lack of study spaces/difficulty finding study spaces a problem your students face?

·  Would this system be of interest to your team?

Thank you very much for your time and help, I look forward to hearing from you soon. I can be contacted by this email ([log in to unmask]) or I am happy to arrange a telephone meeting if that is more suitable.

Yours faithfully,

Alex Maddison.

(4th Year, MEng Engineering Design, University of Bristol)