Oh Harvard! I too have this problem and to be honest, I think we should come up with an official British Referencing style for the modern age instead of using something which has no official style!

The best guide for Harvard: Colin Neville's (2016) The Complete Guide to Referencing and Avoiding Plagiarism  is probably the closest thing to a Harvard Guide. The section Hurrah for Harvard  describes the reasons for the inconsistencies with Harvard but also it's strengths, mainly the flexibility. It also provides a lot of examples, the problem being that they don't match our Harvard style. However it is very useful and a great resource, I highly recommend it.

Flexibility of Harvard: In the past Harvard's flexibility was an advantage but in the age of ref management software, this makes it difficult to have one definitive style, meaning there are many different Harvard Style's.

APA: Harvard isn't actually used at Harvard, in the US the APA style is actually the referencing style which has evolved from the same library cataloguing as Harvard Style. As a result, it is very similar and some of our departments have started to use it as it produces a definitive style guide every few years. There are also great resources available at http://blog.apastyle.org/ and https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.

Referencing and Formatting Guides: One problem with APA, as with Chicago, is that they are complete formatting guides meaning that the style guides they produce cover a lot more than referencing which students at British institutions don't need.

Isn't it time we had a British referencing style?: I think we could actually come up a referencing style which would bring referencing into the 21st century and replace a lot of the outdated info which is of the pre-internet era. This would be better for students and staff, as they could then concentrate on the content rather than getting distracted by the minutiae of formatting. I think a team of librarians, academics and learning technologists could come up with a system...

Regards,

Stephen