From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gordon Asher
Sent: 02 November 2017 10:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Seeking thoughts/resources on - leadership in HE (and LD role in such)

Hi LDHEN hive mind - am seeking thoughts/resources/issues etc with regard to leadership in HE

Both broadly - but more specifically if anyone has anything in terms of leadership and the role/potential for Learning Development/Learning Developers with regard to strategic leadership and influence in HE.

Asking as heading to event next week on; 'The role of academic developers in strategic leadership and influencing in Higher Education'

Couple of books I think are interesting:

Brookfield, S. & Preskill, S. (2008) Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0787978078.html

<http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0787978078.html>
Hall, R. & Winn, J. (eds.) (2017) Mass Intellectuality and Democratic Leadership in Higher Education https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/mass-intellectuality-and-democratic-leadership-in-higher-education-9781474267595/

<https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/mass-intellectuality-and-democratic-leadership-in-higher-education-9781474267595/>
Thinking I should perhaps declare my involvement in the latter book, which represents an attempt at a somewhat different -  a critical, collective, co-operative, democratic - approach to producing an academic book for a mainstream academic publisher.

I have chapter, as conclusion, in this; 'Practising What We Preach? Writing and Publishing In, Against and Beyond the Neoliberal University'

Which, if anyone would like a copy (especially bearing in mind the fortune such books cost under the tyranny of the contemporary political economy of the neoliberal academic research/writing/publishing regime!!) happy to send one on - drop me an email

All best
Thanks in advance
Gordon Asher

Work like you don't need money
Love like you've never been hurt
and dance like no-one's watching

"Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world." Paulo Freire (Pedagogy of the Oppressed)

"Education is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it, and by the same token save it from that ruin which except for renewal, except for the coming of the new and the young, would be inevitable." Hannah Arendt (The Crisis of Education)