Dear colleagues,

Authors in our School of Art, English and Drama are getting an increasing number of requests from journals (especially in the area of Textiles) to pay generic publication fees.  To be clear, these are not colour figure charges, article processing charges or submission charges, these are fees to (and I quote from Sage) “support the cost of wide dissemination of research”. These vary between £500-£1000.  The resulting article is not made available on open access, but the author gets (in Sage’s case) an additional 50 offprints. (For further details please check at:https://in.sagepub.com/en-in/sas/journal/textile-research-journal#submission-guidelines )

It seems hard to justify paying such fees when the journal is a subscription journal, and open access is not on the table.  I wondered how other institutions were dealing with these fees?  Is this a trend in other disciplines too?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Best regards
Lizzie

Dr Elizabeth Gadd MCLIP, FHEA
Research Policy Manager (Publications)
Research Office
Loughborough University
Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU

Tel: 01509 228594
Skype: lizziegadd
Twitter: @lizziegadd

Working Hours: Mon 8.30-5; Tues & Wed 8.30-3

View my latest publication! <https://lb-public.lboro.ac.uk/cgi-bin/personcite?username=lbeag&dobranding=1&hits=1>
Google Scholar Citation Profile<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=M7L765kAAAAJ>
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4509-7785
http://about.me/elizabeth.gadd