Jude,

We also use Google Analytics on our Timetrail website (timetrail.warwickshire.gov.uk) to form some basic quarterly statistics such as 'page views' (average 15k per quarter), 'visits/sessions' (average 4.4k per quarter) and 'unique visits/users' (average 3.8k per quarter).
Although you can get some useful results from this and drill down quite far into what people are looking at, even potentially where they are from, there is a big health warning on using these tools to answer precise questions and it will certainly not really tell you why users are accessing the online HER or really who they are.
In fact HERs have on the whole not been very good at recording certain types of information from users with the biggest gap in looking at user satisfaction. This gap is something that has been identified by HIAS and forms one of the new draft key indicators:  "percentage of HER/HG customers who are satisfied with provision" with the measure coming from a user satisfaction survey (yet to be designed).
As Crispin says we know from experience that users of HERs vary and here in Warwickshire we currently statistically record them in three groups:
There are other groups such as internal queries we get from other departments in the county council, other local authorities, national agencies such as Historic England and many others. In fact thinking about it here then it is probably time we had a bit of a refresh of our statistical recording methods!

Well anyway hopefully that helps.

Ben

Ben Wallace
(Historic Environment Record Manager)
BA (EU) Hons, MA, MCIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record
Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA),
Landscape, Ecology and Historic Environment
Heritage and Environment,
Community Services,
Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 412734

Postal Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Warwick CV34 4SX

Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH