From: The Natural Science Collections Association discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Meg Cathcart-James
Sent: 06 November 2017 11:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Request for advice from experience - moving collections

Good morning,

My name is Meg and I work for the Cole Museum of Zoology at the University of Reading. The museum is moving to a new home in 2019, and we are looking at how best to ensure the proper tracking of our specimens as they go from their current places, into temporary storage, and then to their new positions in the new museum space. I am emailing to ask if anybody here has had experience of moving collections, and how you tracked specimens? For example with a barcode scanner, labelling/recording systems etc.

Any help, advice, do's and don'ts would be gratefully received.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Meg Cathcart-James
Cole Museum Project Officer

Telephone extension: 5087

Working hours: 9-5pm, Monday to Wednesday

* Help bring the world to the Horniman - back our World Gallery appeal:  crowdfunder.co.uk/worldgallery

* Come visit The Robot Zoo, 11 February - 29 October 2017: horniman.ac.uk/robotzoo

* Become a member of the Horniman to enjoy a year of inspiration, surprise and enjoyment: horniman.ac.uk/members

* Visit our website to see exhibitions, events, explore our collections and much more: horniman.ac.uk

The Horniman Public Museum & Public Park Trust. 100 London Road, London SE23 3PQ.
Registered as a charity in England and Wales. Charity registration number: 802725
Company registration number: 2456393

Disclaimer
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only. It may contain personal views which are not the views of the Horniman Museum, unless specifically stated. If you  have received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the Horniman may monitor e-mails sent or received. It is the recipient’s responsibility to ensure that appropriate measures are in place to check for software viruses.

* Help bring the world to the Horniman - donate to our World Gallery appeal:  crowdfunder.co.uk/worldgallery