I spoke too soon - I assume it shouldn't take over 5 minutes for fsleyes to load. It's put up the startup screen, and is still loading.
the terminal has the following:

- GLContext callback function raised NullFunctionError: Attempt to call an undefined function glutInit, check for bool(glutInit) before calling
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "fsleyes/gl/__init__.py", line 593, in create
  File "fsleyes/main.py", line 384, in realCallback
  File "fsleyes/gl/__init__.py", line 381, in bootstrap
  File "site-packages/OpenGL/GLUT/special.py", line 333, in glutInit
  File "site-packages/OpenGL/platform/baseplatform.py", line 407, in __call__
OpenGL.error.NullFunctionError: Attempt to call an undefined function glutInit, check for bool(glutInit) before calling

Yours
Helen Beaumont PhD
ISBE
University of Manchester