Hi again Colin,

> That was helpful. I was thinking more along the implementation lines for this. So in order to get the Jacobian determinant from the displacement field is there a closed form equation that I could use ? I have a simple idea in mind to simply subtract the neighboring voxel coordinates in order to get the partial derivative for the Jacobian. Thoughts ?

the finite difference approximation is not brilliant for this, in that the two values you subtract are defined in voxel centres, which means that your derivative will be defined on the junction between the voxels. And that is not where you ideally want it.

> If there is not a closed form solution for this, then how do we implement it?

Usually there are reasonably simple ways of doing that. For example in eddy the EC field (which is a scaled displacement field in the PE-direction) is represented as a low order polynomial (linear, quadratic or cubic) so there it is trivial to differentiate it analytically. The susceptibility field is represented by the coefficients of a set of cubic B-splines, i.e. you get the field by multiplying each coefficient with the pertinent spline (they are regularly spaced on a 3D grid). So to get a derivative field you simply take your 3D spline and differentiate it in one direction (the PE direction), which is again analytic since these splines are polynomials. You then create the derivative field by using the same coefficients, but now multiplying them with these “derivative splines”.

For the case where I have a field that is just represented by the voxel values (i.e. a measured field) I calculate the interpolating spline coefficients and use the same trick with the “derivative splines”.

Jesper