Hi,

Distortion correction can be done either before BBR or as part of BBR, and as long as the distortion correction before works well then the two options are likely to give similar results.  If you have a lot of signal loss (and it is mainly the size of the signal loss areas that matters) then it might be beneficial to use cost function weighting in conjunction with BBR.  This can be done through the FLIRT command line or through the epi_reg script (for the latter the weighting image needs to be registered to the structural space first).

All the best,
Mark

On 4 Nov 2017, at 07:28, Tanenbaum, Aaron <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I distortion correction before BBR or during is fine.

Aaron Tanenbaum
Senior Research Technician for Professor Beau M. Ances
________________________________
From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Matt Glasser <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 5:39:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [FSL] Fieldmap images and BBR

BBR is a rigid registration and 2D EPI images are distorted relative to 3D
structural images.  It is best to distortion correct data before or during
BBR (I donĀ¹t think it matters too much when it is done, just that it is
done well).  I would doubt that regions of signal dropout would affect BBR
much, does the initial registration get things into the ballpark?

Peace,

Matt.