Bizarre as it may seem (and is!), the most likely explanation must be that the school is in fact named after the Bretton Woods system of international monetary management! (And that the name of the district derives from the school.)

John Briggs

On 07 November 2017 at 09:41 Jeremy Harte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

In West Bretton there is a Bretton Hall, which was the home of Sir Thomas Wentworth, who in 1774 was granted an estate in New Hampshire, which he called Bretton Woods: thus Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretton_Woods,_New_Hampshire#cite_note-2.

Any insights into the naming of Bretton Woods school would be appreciated. An indignant letter to the Peterborough Telegraph (8 May 2012) says that ‘There were no gangs or large groups of unruly hoodlums, there were no regular skirmishes between students and there was not this lurid image...’, which does rather suggest that there were small groups of purposeful hoodlums and occasional skirmishes. Anyway, the school opened in January 1977, when it was ‘the only place that housed community activities. Everything that happened in Bretton happened here. Even the church was based here until 1978’ (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/environment/fond-memories-at-final-bretton-woods-reunion-1-80429).

Jeremy Harte

-----Original Message-----
From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Ikins
Sent: 07 November 2017 00:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bretton, Hunts.

Sorry, but I find no mention of Bretton Woods there.

---- Martin Counihan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The famous Bretton Woods apparently takes its name from West Bretton in Yorkshire:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bretton

> Regards,

> Martin Counihan

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk