Hi Gill

It would be helpful to know more more about the source of the recording.
If you're referring to a recorded lecture, then the content will almost
certainly need to be heavily edited to remove all of the ums and ahs and
passing cars (nice rhyme?). Seriously - its worth noting that even
organisations such as the BBC can't transcribe quickly and accurately
when reporting and interviewing, etc.

It might be worth flagging to the student that listening to the
recording and then transferring to a PC via dictation software would
allow the material to be filtered, and - as the info is being *actively*
processed - it's likely to lead to more effective learning/retention,
etc. (I transcribed interviews in this way many years ago - when Hilary
Burns and I researched the use of Dragon by students with SpLD).

Sorry, if I've misunderstood the nature of the exercise, though.

Regards

Peter Hill

--
Peter Hill