As it's hard to see another condition for special category processing does the reluctance to use consent perhaps stem from the need to respect the right to withdraw it?

If consent is withdrawn and then personal / sensitive personal data accordingly needs to be deleted (or anonymised?) how can the data controller defend a claim or show that their involvement with the student wasn't in some way negligent, inappropriate or a missed safeguarding opportunity etc? I would imagine that otherwise you would quite rightly wish to retain these records, using a suitable justification, for your chosen retention period.

Perhaps you could retain personal data under a legitimate interests condition if consent is withdrawn, or special category data under 'defence of legal claims' if such are genuinely contemplated. This still seems to create a potential risk in being able to defend claims and the privacy notice would be tricky to draft...

--
Jake Smith
Information Governance Manager