Dear Radu,

I think this is a little harsh. Biology is a fabulously messy thing, and very prone to doing the unexpected. See the excellent paper by Niedzialkowska et al. at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4815408/#!po=13.6905 for some examples. Sometimes unexpected things (which just happen to have a similar size to your target) carry through all the purification steps - I remember having terrible trouble isolating his-tagged IGF-I (not for crystallization) from Sf9 lysates due to a cathepsin-like protease that stuck doggedly to the Ni-NTA column even under 8M urea, yet co-eluted in imidazole. Even if contaminant proteins are barely visible on your SDS-PAGE gel, if they crystallise easily and your target doesn’t...  all these things and many others have happened, and have undoubtedly driven the occasional poor grad student to the brink of giving it all up.

I guess in these days of relatively cheap and ubiquitous mass spec it may make sense to sacrifice a crystal to trypsin digest and MS/MS sequencing just for peace of mind, but in the average case I think that’s likely to be overkill. Shooting crystals at a synchrotron is now very routine, so I think it makes perfect sense to provide a computational check for the (hopefully rare) surprise case.

Best regards,

Tristan

Tristan Croll
Research Fellow
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
University of Cambridge CB2 0XY