On Friday, 10 November 2017 00:10:22 Keller, Jacob wrote:
> Dear Crystallographers,
>
> I have been considering a thought-experiment of sorts for a while, and wonder what you will think about it:
>
> Consider a diffraction data set which contains 62,500 unique reflections from a 50 x 50 x 50 Angstrom unit cell, with each intensity measured perfectly with 16-bit depth. (I am not sure what resolution this corresponds to, but it would be quite high even in p1, I think--probably beyond 1.0 Angstrom?).

Meh.
62500 is < 40^3, so ±20 indices on each axis.
50Å / 20 = 2.5Å,  so not quite 2.5Å resolution

> Thus, there are 62,500 x 16 bits (125 KB) of information in this alone, and there is an HKL index associated with each intensity, so that I suppose contains information as well. One could throw in phases at 16-bit as well, and get a total of 250 KB for this dataset.
>
> Now consider an parallel (equivalent?) data set, but this time instead of reflection intensities you have a real space voxel map of the same 50 x 50 x 50 unit cell consisting of 125,000 voxels, each of which has a 16-bit electron density value, and an associated xyz index analogous to the hkl above. That makes a total of 250 KB, with each voxel a 1 Angstrom cube. It seems to me this level of graininess would be really hard to interpret, especially for a static picture of a protein structure. (see attached: top is a ~1 Ang/pixel down-sampled version of the image below).

All that proves is that assigning each 1x1x1 voxel a separate density value is a very
inefficient use of information.  Adjacent voxels are not independent, and no possible
assignment of values will get around the inherent blockiness of the representation.

I know!  Let's instead of assigning a magnitude per voxel, let's assign a magnitude per
something-resolution-sensitive, like a sin wave.   Then for each hkl measurement we get
one sin wave term.   Add up all the sine waves and what do you get?  Ta da.  A nice map.

> Or, if we wanted smaller voxels still, let's say by half, we would have to reduce the bit depth to 2 bits. But this would still only yield half-Angstrom voxels, each with only four possible electron density values.
>
> Is this comparison apt? Off the cuff, I cannot see how a 50 x 50 pixel image corresponds at all to the way our maps look, especially at around 1 Ang resolution. Please, if you can shoot down the analogy, do.

Aren't Fourier series marvelous?

--
Ethan A Merritt, Dept of Biochemistry
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg