Hi,

yes, consumer cards do have OpenGL implemented on a chip but the Nvidia driver did not allow OpenGL 3D to work until February 2013. As of Nvidia driver version 314.07, Nvidia added OpenGL quad buffered 3D Stereo for GeForce cards (at least under MS Windows 7/8). However, this was never officially announced and officially supported and only works if the monitor is preset to run at 120 Hz and the software automatically switches into full-screen mode. Sadly, windowed applications will not work. Under MS Windows 10, it does not seem to work anymore.

We have a monitor with a build in emitter and that one works with the smaller/cheaper Quadro cards without the 3-pin connector but, it is virtually impossible nowadays to get such a monitor in order to avoid needing to buy an expensive Nvidia card with a 3-pin connector.

To enjoy OpenGL quad buffered 3D Stereo, you will at least need a Quadro K4000/P4000/4000 with separate 3-pin bracket (all-in-all very expensive solution) or you will need to buy an older FX model such as the FX3700 with build-in 3-pin connector.

At the Bay in the USA, unused / brand-new FX3700s are being offered right now for about 90-110 US$. That's the cheapest way out and 512 MB memory is sufficient unless you are trying work with VERY big PDB files. If so, try to get your hands on a "new, see details" Quadro 4000 and a separate PNY 3-pin mini DIN stereo bracket (930-50764-0000-000 C for about 20 US$) or a
"new, see details" Quadro 5000 with build-in emitter.

Good luck

Jeroen.