Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 221 November 06, 2017 web pdf Heterodox Economics Directory

This Newsletter starts with a success story: In our past issue we asked you to undersign a petition issued by Michael Reich and Heidi Hartmann, which is distributed by IAFEE and urges the AEA to provide an alternative to the website Economics Job Market Rumors. The motivation of the petition rooted in the abusive, sexist and discriminatory language that is well-established on said site and speaks volumes about the role of gender and prejudice in the economics profession - an aspect that not only impacts online forums, but also plays a role in shaping economic theorizing and guiding empirical research (see here for an excellent, exemplary discussion).

The petition has by now collected more than 1,000 signatories from the economics discipline, which I would be consider a huge success, and was submitted to the AEA two weeks ago. So let's hope that the AEA will step up and take on this long overdue task of providing a job market related platform more in line with basic standards of human decency. If it does, a great share of the credit should be attributed to Alice Wu, who compiled the working paper that solidly documented the biased, disrespectful and derogatory use of language and thereby proved that doing thorough research can indeed contribute to change how things are done.

Many thanks to Alice, and all the best,

Jakob

© public domain

Table of contents