Emma,

I agree with you on both counts; but that is probably not terribly helpful to you L

Peter

From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emma Duke-Williams (Staff)
Sent: 23 November 2017 14:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP] The way that TII Direct 2.5 & BB's Gradecentre speak to each other.

Cross posting, though I suspect that most of you who’ll know the answer are on both lists!

In most cases at Dundee, work is set to anonymously marked, to the situation I’m about to describe doesn’t affect them. But …

1: The work is set to be non-anonymous.

2: They’re set to NOT reveal marks immediately – but to use the post date.

3: Marks appear in the grade centre *BEFORE* the post date – though the Post date keeps the column they’re in hidden.

4: However, they are getting added to the total, so the students can work out the grade (especially if it’s the only thing that’s graded)

So, my thoughts:

1: Shouldn’t the TII Direct building block respect the “No reveal” & not reveal it in the submission in box OR the grade centre.

2: If TII doesn’t respect that no reveal to the gradecentre, (which seems the case,) then shouldn’t blackboard’s Grade Centre total not include marks in columns that are hidden from students, until they’re revealed?

When we’ve found this issue, we’ve recommended that staff either hide the total from the students (which isn’t ideal if they are expecting other grades etc), or they hide the whole gradecentre using the tools availability (again, not good if you’re excepting other marks in the grade centre, but, if it’#s only Turnitin, then useful, as the students have to go to the submission inbox to see the mark & that increases the chances of them realising there’s some feedback as well as a mark …

Has anyone else found this – and, if so, worked out a better solution??

Emma

Emma Duke-Williams

Educational Technologist

CTIL