NCS is pleased to announce a forthcoming new grant fund aimed at
conservation activities not supported by other grant aid organisations.
We have established a fund and have pledges from business sponsors who
will, if the scheme is successful, commit further annual donations.
This includes donations from our projects company under our profit-
sharing approach to supporting the non-profit membership organisation.
We have entered a partnership with a charity fundraising organisation
called CharityCheckout and are in the process of establishing the means
by which crowd-funding can be targeted at small to medium scale
conservation projects - see https://www.charitycheckout.co.uk/
We will publish soon the range of likely eligible projects that
archives, libraries and museums can seek grants to pay for from our
general fund.  The applicant organisation can nominate a contracting
Accredited conservator/Registered practice to carry out the projects
within their region where available, or seek to have one identified as a
part of the application.  This can include local authority-employed
conservation services that offer services where contracts are to be
tendered.  All projects can include digitisation.
In addition to using a general fund to support applicant organisations,
we wish to set up a mechanism by which your users/readers who wish to
access material currently unfit for use can, with your approval as
custodian, seek to raise funds through the crowd-funding system to pay
for a project.  We particularly want to know if archivists or other
custodians would welcome such a fund-raising mechanism and if so under
what policies or procedures they would be willing to participate in such
a scheme.  This would be a form of grass-roots 'adopt-a-book' type
scheme but one where the user or a user-group raises the funds from
other interested users and the wider charitable public, via an
NCS/CharityCheckout web-based donations system.  Please would readers of
this posting please let us know your thoughts, negative or positive,
about such a concept and, where positive, whether you would partciapte
in a round table meeting to agree a set of criteria for such a scheme.
Please either reply to this email or write to [log in to unmask]

Chris Woods PGDipCons BAhons CertCons RMARA ACR FIIC
Director
National Conservation Service
21 Albemarle Street
Mayfair
London W1S 4BS
tel: 07495949170
www.ncs.org.uk

NCS membership is operated by Nationwide Conservation Service Ltd, a not-for-
profit membership company limited by guarantee, registered in England &
Wales no. 07077608, VAT reg. 202361951.  NCS projects are provided by
Conservation Ltd, a company registered in England & Wales no. 6659286
VAT reg. 981696269.  Both companies are registered at 21 Albemarle St,
Mayfair, London W1S 4BS