Dear Zooarchers,

There are several good places to study zooarchaeology in the UK, but I want to highlight particular new strength at Exeter. We have additionally hired Naomi Sykes (starting January 2018), the reference collection is very much expanded and we have new dedicated, in-house digital x-ray.  There is a very significant cluster of zooarchaeological teaching and major research projects.

The line-up to teach on our ‘MSc Bioarchaeology: Zooarchaeology’ and supervise PhDs next academic year is:

Professor Naomi Sykes: (domestication, introductions, medieval zooarchaeology, deer, rabbits, chickens, social zooarchaeology, genetic and isotopic applications in zooarch)

Professor Alan K. Outram: (prehistoric zooarchaeology, horse domestication, early pastoralism, origins of milking, palaeoeconomics, lipid residue and genetic applications in zooarch)

Dr Alex Pryor: (Palaeolithic animal exploitation, isotopic approaches to animal mobility, mammoths)

Zooarch can be integrated with the study of human osteology:

Dr Catriona McKenzie: (palaeopathology, funerary osteoarchaeology)

Dr Laura Evis: (forensic archaeology and anthropology)

And plants and landscape context can be covered too:

Professor Jose Iriarte: (palaeobotany, environmental archaeology, phytoliths, Amazonia)

Professor Stephen Rippon: (landscape archaeology, historic landscape characterization, environments and agriculture)

Professor Oliver Creighton: (high status and designed landscapes)

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/archaeology/bioarch/

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees/archaeology/archmphilphd/

http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/archaeology/

Cheers,

Alan.

Professor Alan K. Outram BA MSc PhD MCIfA FSA

Head of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeological Science
Editor-in-Chief "Science and Technology of Archaeological Research, STAR" (Routledge)

Department of Archaeology
College of Humanities
University of Exeter
Laver Building
North Park Road
Exeter
EX4 4QE

Tel: +44 (0)1392 724398

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/codebox/email-sig/staff-sig.gif

This email and any attachment may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or subject to copyright, and which may be exempt from disclosure under applicable legislation. It is intended for the addressee only. If you received this message in error, please let me know and delete the email and any attachments immediately. The University will not accept responsibility for the accuracy/completeness of this email and its attachments.