Brigitte,

Great to see your message. I have actually just completed my doctoral
thesis on just this question: Walking Networks: The Development of an
Artistic Medium. I chose to define walking as an artistic medium that asks
people to walk. Because the movement (see Phil Smith's Walkings New
movement for example) is so diverse it seems to me important to create a
flexible critical approach.

I am happy to share a copy if May thesis if you message me off list.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the publications list on WAN, which
will point you to other lit on the medium.
http://www.walkingartistsnetwork.org/publications/

Best,

Blake

--