From: "Lea, John ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24/10/2017 18:50 (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: small group teaching

Two resources I’m familiar with:

Exley, K. and Dennick, R. (2004) Small group teaching: tutorials, seminars and beyond. Abingdon: RoutledgeFalmer.

Mills, D. and Alexander, P.  (2013) Small group teaching: a toolkit for learning. York: HEA.

I like this in the latter:

“Small group teaching is not defined by numbers. We define it as any teaching situation in which dialogue and collaboration within the group are integral to learning.”

Personally, I’d like to think this could still be done in a large lecture – with clever adaption – but I take the general point about `integral’ being the key word.

Also, something in me wants to say that 2 people cannot be a group, but if `dialogue and collaboration’ is the key, then why not, I suppose.

And if you are `Billy no mates’ I suppose you could engage in some form of Socratic interior dialogue with yourself.

Best

John

John Lea