Hi All,

Just chiming in to agree with Eric's point around the need for active
engagement and facilitation for these kinds of online platforms.

Wellcome commissions a platform dedicated to engagement specifically in Low
and Middle Income settings (https://mesh.tghn.org/) and as much as we may
wish for some online-platform-utopia where it is all generated and led by
the community of practice, we really have found that it needs active
development
and curation to get the desired outcomes.

It's not always appreciated by those that start (or fund) these initiatives
but hopefully that can change so that these initiatives can grow past their
first few years in future.

Thanks for an interesting discussion,

Georgia

*Georgia Bladon*
International Engagement Portfolio Manager

The Wellcome Trust
Gibbs Building
215 Euston Road, London NW1  2BE

*E* *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*

www.wellcome.ac.uk

On 12 October 2017 at 18:51, Alison Rivett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the insights and the tips about where to find things
> now (& from then).
>
> I guess (hope) the lack of use of Collective Memory doesn't indicate that
> no-one in the sci-comm world is interested in learning from others' past
> successes & failures, but perhaps just more likely to google* or look
> elsewhere in the literature, now that there is more of that. Or even ask
> the 'community', which is possibly one reason why this old-fashioned list
> keeps trundling along.
>
> Cheers anyway, Alison.
>
> * I hear a rumour other search engines are available...
>

> On Thursday, 12 October 2017, Andy Mabbett <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11 October 2017 at 19:39, Jo Brodie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> > Whenever a page or website disappears you can often find a shadow of its
>> > former self thanks to the Wayback Machine from the Internet Archive.
>> This
>> > crawls web pages and archives copies of them.
>> >
>> > Sometimes you'll find really complete information, sometimes it's a bit
>> > chaotic.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Further to Jo's excellent analysis, it's possible to submit an
>> individual page for immediate archiving, using the form at:
>>
>>    https://archive.org/web/
>>
>> (bottom-right in default view).
>>
>> There is no submission process for the regular archiving of specific
>> pages, nor for the archiving of whole sites. These can be encouraged
>> by ensuring that other sites that the archive is already aware of link
>> to the target site; by ensuring that the site's robots,txt files does
>> not block the archiver, and by suing the Alexa Toolbar when visiting
>> the site. See the FAQs at:
>>
>>    https://archive.org/about/faqs.php
>>
>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

>> subject) to [log in to unmask] with one of the following messages
>> (ignoring text in brackets)
>>
>> • signoff psci-com (to leave the list)
>> • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday)
>> • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)
>>
>> Contact list owner at [log in to unmask]
>> Small print and JISCMail acceptable use policy
>> https://sites.google.com/site/pscicomjiscmail/the-small-print

> --

> ------------------------------
> Dr Alison Rivett
> Regional Representative, South West
> *The Ogden Trust*  www.ogdentrust.com
> ------------------------------
> 07913 504652  @SWPhysics
>
> [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

> ------------------------------
>
> c/o Unit 3C, The Phoenix Brewery, 13 Bramley Road,
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=13+Bramley+Road,%C2%A0London,%C2%A0W10+6SP&entry=gmail&source=g>
> London,
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=13+Bramley+Road,%C2%A0London,%C2%A0W10+6SP&entry=gmail&source=g>W10
> [...]

Georgia Bladon
+44 (0)7816291261
Science communication and outreach consultant

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)