Well, this is fuller, but where’s the original, Bill? I liked it as short & sweet, or a first stanza if you were to follow through with it as a kind of armature for an ongoing poem.

Here, in autumn, if I were the gardener types, it would all be dying off, anyway. But I'm not, so can only admire all you Aussies with your oddly named plants being pulled...

Doug
> On Oct 18, 2017, at 5:17 AM, Bill Wootton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Creeping buttercup sounds insidious and playful, Patrick.
>
> I have had a go, Jill, Andrew, at swelling this morning’s tiny weed poem.
>
> Garden decisions
>
> See two flat green weed strands
> bobbing in afternoon breeze;
> follow down with fingers
> either side of a pink bluebell.
> Do you grab both bits and haul and hope
> the flower stays intact?
> Or pull one first and hope the other
> flicks underneath the flower
> and comes away with an attached clod of dirt, ensuring lasting rupture
> and flower survival?
>
> The casualty count creeps up as tiredness sets in.
> Multiply decision by 500.
> You have spent an afternoon.
>
> bw
> 15.10.17
>
> Bill
>

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 6:33 pm, Patrick McManus <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill yes in my new small garden meadow creeping buttercup is the
>> challenge
>>
>> I have not come across folding the weeds they get a yank (not US!) from me
>>
>> it reads a bit like an aphorism -old masters wise words cheers P
>>
>> my Partner Janet is in Melbourne at the moment so watch out Australians!!!
>>

>> On 18/10/2017 03:13, Bill Wootton wrote:
>>> Yes, you're right! Andrew, Jill. When I get time off weeding.
>>>
>>> Soursob or yellow oxalis we don't have here fortunately, Jill, just a
>> few
>>> patches of the violet flowered one, less intrusive it seems.
>>>
>>> I used to mow it in our previous place or use glysophyn, carefully in the
>>> garden.
>>>
>>> Sticky weed is a major problem here, wrapping around plants, as well as
>>> big, strappy weeds and spiky jobs.
>>>
>>> Bill

Douglas Barbour
https://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuations 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).
Listen. If (UofAPress):

There was the usual amount of corruption, intimidation, and rioting.

                        Sir Charles Petrie