Dear List,

---------------

The call for entries to the TEI 2018 Student Design Challenge is now live.

We encourage you to share this call with students who might be
interested in the challenge and across your networks. Below is the call
which can also be found on
https://tei.acm.org/2018/student-design-challenge/

    WE WERE PROMISED HOVERBOARDS BUT WE GOT IPHONES

Building on the theme of the conference (Post-digital Design) the
Student Design Challenge encourages submissions of the ‘magical mundane’
and invites exploration of the commonplace technologies of ‘tomorrows
world’.

Visions of the future often place emphasis on magical technologies that
radically alter our way of life and cure all problems; for instance
great distances travelled in a matter of seconds, robots to perform
unwanted chores, or food magically appearing upon request. Though
previously fictional, now handheld devices can immediately access the
world’s knowledge, from any location, are commonplace; these once
seemingly magical have become, perhaps, largely mundane. Mark Weiser’s
seminal article on “The Computer for the 21st century” introduced us to
the “world of tomorrow” for the 1990’s through the life of Sal, who’s
fictional life is now nearly our own reality. But who is Sal’s
grandchild and what does their life look like?

We invite student teams to reflect on how we use yesterday’s magical
technologies today and envision examples of how tomorrow’s magical
tangible, embedded, and embodied technologies might be explored in an
article about the “The Computer for the 22nd century”. We are looking
for exciting demonstrations that show creativity, inspiration, and
feasibility in future possibilities. Successful entries will be those
that show inspiration for future technologies that blend ambition and
utility with consideration toward revisiting pre-computational designs
or through post-digital materials./The student design competition must
produce an artefact to be shown at the conference that will
embody/explain visions of a technology for Sal’s grandkids./

There will be three prizes awarded:

  * Best presentation of demonstration (Juried)
  * Best technological contribution (Juried)
  * Audience choice (Attendee voted)

All selected demonstrations will be awarded the early-bird registration.

    SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Selection process: Juried

      Criteria

  * Submission via thePrecision Conference system
    <https://new.precisionconference.com/submissions>.
  * Submissions are not anonymous and should include all author names,
    affiliations, and contact information.
  * Submissions must be in English Language
  * Teams size must be no more than five students (part/full time
    student status at time of submission). There is no limit to the
    number of teams that may compete from any given University or
    organization.
  * Preference will be given to entries that offer a good demonstration.

      Format

  * 4 page paper (Maximum – Excluding references) inSIGCHI Extended
    Abstracts Format <https://chi2017.acm.org/submission-formats.html>.
    This should include a description of your chosen design and its use,
    sources of inspiration, an outline of the problems the design
    addresses, the approach taken in your design, and your main claims
    for your proposed solution; including acknowledgement of partial /
    incomplete solutions and limitations.
    Acknowledgement of any assistance drawn from outside the student
    team (advisors, faculty, domain experts, existing solutions, users,
    etc.)
  * 3-minute (Maximum) video clip
    Uploaded to YouTube/Vimeo – password protected uploads are accepted
    provided they are accessible to the jury.
  * Poster (Optional and fitting to demonstration)
    Selected teams will be required to present poster (Size A1). The
    poster design should be submitted in PDF format and the file must be
    no larger than 6 Mb in size.
  * Proof of all team members’ student status.

    IMPORTANT DATES

  * Submission deadline: Friday, 17th November 2017 (12:00pm UTC)
  * Notification: Friday, 1st December 2017
  * Camera-ready deadline: Friday, 5th January 2017

    MORE INFORMATION

Submission queries should be viaemail to TEI student challenge chairs
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>Kiel Long and Kjetil Falkenberg Hansen
prior to deadline.