Javier,

> >the article may have been retracted for other reasons that they (T&F) are
> not being transparent about. The entire saga still remains unclear, and yet
> several people here seem to take them at their word.

I don't think it's implausible to think that they might misrepresent events to cast blame on others or to cover up misdeeds. I don't think I'm being über naïve to believe that they would be unlikely to do so by falsely claiming that they acted in a cowardly and dishonorable manner, however.

> >there is a lot of outrage on this specific listserv about certain threats of violence but not others.

There is a difference between justifying violence and making specific threats of violence. I hope we could agree that we should not censor Franz Fanon or Malcolm X for justifying or advocating violence. I hope we would also agree that threatening violence against their publishers to shut down publication of their writing would be vile. And that a publisher that would withdraw their work based on such threats would be sad, at best.

By the way, I haven’t been outraged by Gilley’s claims because I have not yet read them. I don’t know how the nature of his writing could change the principles involved.

> >the threat of violence to the journal or the author remains unclear

As I said, it seems implausible that they would choose to cover up their actions by falsely accusing themselves of capitulation to threats. You are right: the nature of the threats is unclear. I hope specifics emerge.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program