Dear All,

I wish I had more time to contribute to this thread, having instigated some of the issues being discussed, but I don’t. Too many deadlines at the moment.

Just one comment. Following on from what Klaus said concerning metaphors. All our accounts are suffused with metaphor. The idea that books transmit knowledge is one such metaphor. All metaphors have limits. They go some way towards helping us, but never completely. That is the nature of metaphorising. And there is no escaping these limitations. But we can always stop, recognise the limits, and try something else. In the end it’s a matter of utility, temporary fashion, etc.

Not surprising, in our time we are gripped by the metaphors of our machines. We feel comforted by metaphors about data, information, data bases, information processing, networks, etc.

You pays your money, and you takes your chance.

David
--

blog: http://communication.org.au/blo <http://communication.org.au/blo>g/
web: http://communication.org.au <http://communication.org.au/>

David Sless BA MSc FRSA
CEO • Communication Research Institute •
• helping people communicate with people •

Mobile: +61 (0)412 356 795
Phone: +61 (03) 9005 5903
Skype: davidsless

60 Park Street • Fitzroy North • Melbourne • Australia • 3068