On 9 October 2017 at 11:50, Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Deepa,
>
> Yes. There were petitions for withdrawal of the article. I disagreed with
> them and agreed with Noam Chomsky and others who said that rebuttal was the
> right answer rather than post-facto censorship. But there is, of course,
> nothing wrong with signing a petition that I disagree with.
>
> There is, however, something very wrong with making threats of violence
> such as this. There is something very wrong with giving in to such threats.
> There is also something wrong in the refusal to condemn such threats (and
> the refusal to condemn giving in to threats.)
>
> If we discover in a short while that T&F has called in law enforcement to
> identify and prosecute those who made the threat and that they then
> reinstate the article, I will apologize to Taylor & Francis for objecting
> to their apparent capitulation to thuggery but until them, I call on decent
> people to condemn this indecency.

Gunnar,
I agree with you.
At the same time, I can also sympathize with some individuals who live in
different circumstances from you and me, people whose experiences lead them
to be deeply concerned for their own safety with good reason.
Of course, we can add that there are people who are justifiably concerned
for their safety to the list of very wrong things going on here.

I don't know enough about this particular case to want to take one side or
the other; the trick is, as usual, to balance the needs of all the users.

\V/_  /fas

*Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.*
"I do not share your view that the scientist should observe silence in
political matters." -Albert Einstein
EMAIL <[log in to unmask]> | WEB <http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/> | ORCID
<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3689-5112>