Thanks Helena,

No it’s not baize but it is the fluffy fabric which is like velvet ribbon but is has a wire core and it is tucked down into the base and surrounds the outside of the dome, partly to prevent the dome from moving about and to prevent insect pests from gaining access.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com