Thanks to all who have so far responded. ‘Polling’ was the expression used for the picking out of the iron ore nodules from the clay in South Wales – usually by females.

The measuring system of stacked ore was what was puzzling me – so the ‘dozen’ explanation is very useful.

Do we have any evidence of females working on the banks in Yorkshire? There is plenty of evidence for South Wales, Shropshire and Warwickshire. Also I have scant information about Scotland, but would  be grateful for any further reference to that as well.

Lynne

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------