Hello all

Yes, I wrote a lot about this in the article Maddy cites and in my book The Royal Saints of Anglo-Saxon England. In both cases I was trying (with the arrogance of a 20-something-year-old) to dismantle the "everyone knows that Normans were hostile to Anglo-Saxon saints" idea. In very general terms I would stand by my argument that Norman churchmen tended to appropriate and adapt the English saints who were an important foundation of their churches' identity and power. But it's also very clear now that such generalizations need to be supplemented by a more nuanced approach based on in-depth study of individual churches -- as in Jay Rubinstein's excellent article.

Sue