There is a body of studies on this subject but these papers are not in the
journals we usually study. They are in journals which specifically relate
to Carbon-14 dating. Numerous scientists have used tree rings, one ring
equals one year. The rings are of various thicknesses because of the
weather in any given year. The rings of a living species of tree can be
correlated to the rings of a dead sample of the same species from the same
climatic area. Thus core samples from trees which live to be very old, such
as the American Sequoia give us a gauge to determine the age of a dead
piece of wood from nearby and of the same species. This age can then be
matched against the Carbon 14 date. A lot of this work has been done
particularly to verify Carbon 14 dates. I don't have a link to a good
introductory article on the subject, but Dr. Henry Michael of the
University of Pennsylvania did a lot of this work and his obituary explains
it briefly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/25/us/henry-michael-92-archaeology-groundbreaker-dies.html