I was startled to learn that the daily Chapter Meeting comes not from the Rule of St Benedict, but rather from the Rule (for Canons) of Chrodegang. It seems only to be enjoined for monks by the Council of Aachen in 817 (it is not in the Institutio Canonicorum of 816.)

In Chrodegang's Rule it is fully formed, complete with the name Capitulum. Does anyone know where it might have come from? I haven't yet checked the Rule of the Master, but that seems a long shot.

Ideas?

John Briggs