Dear Sam,

I did an ‘investigation project’ into the University of Essex’s citations and looked into citations from various departments, including our Law department.

I had the exact same issue – the coverage of Law publications on Scopus/SciVal is low and the numbers therefore do not produce an accurate representation of their performance. I did a ‘digital health check’ with the Law department a few months later, where we checked Scopus profiles, created Google Scholar profiles and ORCID. A LOT of the researchers became very frustrated because their publications were not on Scopus and they therefore didn’t have a profile. I think Scopus is working on increasing their coverage, but Law doesn’t seem to be a priority. (Dr. Charles Martinez from Elsevier is a great contact if you have any questions, I am no expect on Scopus coverage and plans and can only speculate).

You could analyse data from Google Scholar, but with some caution – Google Scholar has been accused of adding more citations on compared to the true number, because it mistakes some things for references that shouldn’t (e.g. records in an online library). Then again, this would provide you with much more accurate data than Scopus. Perhaps include both citation data from Scopus and Google Scholar (but make sure you explain the differences in the data these resources provide!).

Kind regards,

Kat

Katrine Sundsbo

Scholarly Communications and Research Support Manager

Library Services

University of Essex

T 01206 873153

E [log in to unmask]