From: Kim Shahabudin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 October 2017 09:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social media curators

I'd say whether they are cited would depend on usage. If you were referring to a tweet/post that you happened to have read on a curated site, it would be the tweet/post that would be the source and the tweeter/poster who'd be the author. If you were referring to the collection of tweets/posts as a whole (e.g. the reasons for selection, consequences of selecting etc) then the collection would be the source and you'd refer to the curator as the author.

As for how to cite social media posts, I think some academic referencing sites may be reticent because of caution in enabling students to use them as sources (not a position I necessarily agree with). My go-to for awkward referencing queries is the Q&A on the Chicago Referencing website, as Virginia has already suggested.

HTH

Kim

Dr Kim Shahabudin, SFHEA, Study Adviser, Study Advice & Maths Support
University of Reading Library @ URS Building, Whiteknights, Reading
0118 378 4242/5222 * www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice<http://www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice> twitter: @unirdg_study
Please note that I now work part-time and am not usually on campus on Mondays.