Hello, listserv!

I’m interested in analyzing the effect of a parametric modulator in an ROI.
To do this, I am running models with one EV for the condition itself and
one for the parametric modulation of the effect (the condition is problem
solving blocks, the parametric modulator is mean-centered Likert-scale
values representing strategy used.) However, some of the runs for some of
my subjects have zero variance for the modulator (i.e., the participant
indicated they used the same strategy to solve all problems within a run).
This is causing a rank deficiency in the design matrix and the modulator
contrast is automatically being set to zero. Since that is the case, should
I (1) concatenate data across all runs and input this into the first-level,
(2) exclude runs with zero variance, or (3) exclude the condition EV
entirely and only input the EV modeling the parametric modulator?

(1) seems like the best option as it would largely mitigate my zero
variance issue - the parametric modulator would model the effect across all
blocks, not just the blocks within one run, and very few subjects indicated
they used the same strategy for all problems. However, I am aware that
several members of this list have expressed concern about including
multiple runs at the first-level due to the introduction of discontinuities
in the time series at the joining points. Is there a workaround to this
issue? Perhaps flagging those joining points as TRs to be scrubbed out
during the analysis?

I dislike options (2) because excluding the zero variance runs would remove
data that are ultimately useful when considered across all runs (the entire
problem set).

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Jessica