Yes, that’s what we have always done. We are a sixth form, so probably done have as many rooms on the go as you, Fiona.

Our plan in our main sports hall is to have a senior invigilator make a list of all absentees as soon as the exam starts and bring them straight to us to ring.  Any other rooms will have a walkie talkie and we will ask them to contact us before starting the exam with any absentees.  That’s the plan anyway.

Another option would be to still use senior staff but ask them to wait outside the room and the invigilator go to the door and give them a list, maybe.

Sent: 24 October 2017 14:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The People Present in the Examination Room

That’s what I was afraid of….. What do you do to identify missing students when you have multiple exam rooms on the go? By the time the external invigilators are in a position to let the exams office know that there are students who haven’t turned up it’s too late to have a realistic chance of contacting them and getting them in before the 10.00 am and 2.30 pm cut off.

We’ve always relied on senior staff from the subject being examined to manage this and not really sure what we’re going to do now.

Thanks - Fiona

Fiona Davidson
Exams Manager
Cardinal Newman College